Fees and Accounts
Billing information for insured, self insured, Workers’ Compensation and DVA patients.
Private Health Insurance
Depending on your level of cover with your health fund, an out of pocket balance may occur. A staff member from our Administration team will be in touch with you before your planned admission to advise of any out-of-pocket expenses. All estimated out-of-pocket expenses are payable on admission.
Self Insured Patients
Self insured patients are required to pay the estimated hospital account prior to admission. To obtain a self insured estimate please contact our admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org You will need to provide the following information:
- Patient’s name
- Patient’s date of birth
- Expected date of surgery
- Surgeon’s name
- Expected length of stay
- CMBS Item Numbers (these can be obtained from your Surgeon)
Department of Veterans’ Affairs
Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) patients will have their account directly sent to the DVA for payment. See Veterans / DVA for information about DVA services at St Vincent’s Private Hospital.
Workers’ Compensation patients need to ensure their admission has been approved by the appropriate insurance company prior to admission, and a copy of your approval has been provided to the hospital.
After you leave hospital, you may receive bills for other charges incurred during your stay that are not the responsibility of the hospital. They are therefore charged separately, and may include fees relating to:
- Your treating Doctor
We accept cash, Mastercard, Visa or EFTPOS.
Informed Financial Consent
We want to ensure you are informed of all costs prior to your stay with us.
It is our hospital policy that all patients are fully informed of potential costs and provide their informed financial consent before Admission, to reduce the risk of loss of income due to patients not paying their expenses.
- All patients must be provided an estimate of all expenses prior to Admission to hospital.
- In the event of an emergency Admission or where a patient has presented without a prior estimation communicated, the Front Office/Administration Clerk will provide the estimation to the patient or next of kin/carer/guardian.
- Staff responsible for providing estimates of patient expenses must be trained to do so and must have access to the relevant rate information.
- For insured patients, a health fund eligibility check must be performed to confirm a patient’s level of cover before estimating their expenses. An estimate is based on the information obtained from the health fund check with a patient’s health fund.
- For self-insured patients, estimates must be based on the item numbers, disposables, accommodation type and estimated length of stay nominated by the doctor.
- Estimates must be provided to patients in writing using St Vincent’s Informed Financial Consent.
- Estimates must comprise enough information to comply with Informed Financial Consent requirements.
- The standard Informed Financial Consent form must be explained to patients, including the Frequently Asked Questions on the separate handout prior to obtaining a signature.
- Patients must sign the form before Admission to provide their informed financial consent.
- Where patients who do not have a booking request an estimate, they must be notified that the estimate provided may change when their doctor makes the booking and that they must request another estimate at that time.
- Patients with overseas health funds are treated as self-insured (unless the hospital has an arrangement with the fund).
- Patients from overseas who are not insured by a contracted overseas health fund must be quoted the standard self-insured rate. They must pay up-front and recover the cost from their health fund later. On discharge, they must pay any outstanding expenses in full and must be provided with a completed claim form and hospital receipted invoice.
For all other information, refer to Fees & Accounts or contact us on: 02 6627 9223.